Mike Vadala – Tournament Chairman
Rochester, New York is a great golf city and has been known for hosting fantastic golf
events for decades. A long time tradition that helped build that reputation has been the
annual presence of a women’s professional golf tournament. The 38 year tradition of
the LPGA visiting Rochester was in danger, until the membership of Brook-Lea Country
Club, the LPGA Symetra Tour, and local not-for-profit Upstate Golf Charities joined
forces to bring The Danielle Downey Credit Union Classic to Rochester to add to that
tradition! We are pleased to announce that The Danielle Downey Credit Union Classic
will return to Brook-Lea in 2017, and that professional women’s golf will celebrate its
41st consecutive year in Rochester from July 17-23, 2017.
Thus far we have exceeded all expectations for the people and corporations who participated in the tournament.
The feedback that we received was such that continuing the event was an easy decision. Consider the following
comments that we received during and after the tournament.
• Local Executive – “The best Pro-Am experience I have ever had at any level”
• Fan/Attendee – “So much more personal than other golf viewing opportunities”
• Professional – “Best tournament on tour, hands down,” and “best fans, best volunteers, the most fun”
• LPGA staff – “Knowledgeable volunteers made it great; rarely a mistake made in any aspect”
• Fan/Attendee – “Had never seen this golf course, but it is a gem”
• High School Player who played in the Pro-Am – “The best day of my life”
• Women’s Forum – “The best event that I have ever attended”
On top of that kind of feedback, we know that our event has been a wonderful tribute to Danielle Downey, Rochester’s most successful golfer, who had a vision
to keep golf here indefinitely, and to help younger players and the community. Our inclusion of young high school players in the Monday Pro-Am continued
her nine year effort to do so, and our partnership with the Hillside Work Scholarship Connection spread the word about the wonderful things they are doing
to help young people not only graduate from high school, but pursue college and careers.
We know that you will love the LPGA Symetra Tour and The Danielle Downey Credit Union Classic. We want to be the best tournament and we hope that you
will help us to that end. We are well on our way!
MIKE VADALA – TOURNAMENT CHAIRMAN